Deserted Beelitz-Heilstätten Sanatorium, Germany
The vast complex of buildings that make up Beelitz-Heilstätten Sanatorium in Brandenburg, Germany, first opened in 1902, designed by the Berlin Workers Health Insurance Corporation. The 346-acre site was built for the treatment of tuberculosis, with separate sections for 600 male and female patients. Expanded between 1905 and 1908, the now abandoned sanatorium was requisitioned by the Red Cross in 1914 for the treatment of wounded soldiers – including infantryman Adolph Hitler, who had been injured during the Battle of the Somme and later wrote about Beelitz-Heilstätten in Mein Kampf.
Reinstated as an infectious diseases hospital for the treatment of TB after World War One, Beelitz was again requisitioned in 1945, this time by the Red Army, who used to facility as a Soviet military hospital until finally abandoning the site in 1994. Parts of the hospital remain in use today for the treatment of Parkinson’s Disease and other neurological conditions. From 1989, the ground became the scene of a number of brutal murders perpetrated by serial killer Wolfgang Schmidt, known as the Beast of Beelitz, who was finally brought to justice in 1991.